Suburb Profiles
More Suburbs

In 1802 the government declared most of the area we know as Blacktown to be a farm and grazing area. It was not until 1819 that land around today’s Marayong was given to private citizens — some of their names are Charles Stuart, Frederick Garling, William Shedworth, Thomas Blackett, William Bland and Major West. The next development was in 1864 when the railway line from Blacktown to Richmond was opened. From 1903 to 1906 land between Marayong and Quakers Hill began to be subdivided and sold. Instead of cattle grazing in the paddocks, small poultry farms, market gardens and wheat farms were established. The railway then became very important because farmers could get their stock or produce to market quickly and easily. On October 2nd, 1922, Marayong Railway Station was officially opened, and in 1926 the people of Marayong voted to become a separate suburb from Quakers Hill. The name “Marayong” was believed to mean “emu” in the Dharug language and was the name the Aborigines gave to the area. The next major change in Marayong was the establishment of a Housing Commission estate in the 1960s. This in turn brought industry to the area. The 1970s marked the end of the rural nature of Marayong, with more house lots being sold. The population increased by more than double between the years 1976 and 1981. Development has continued and there are now 6 public schools and 2 secondary schools in the area. There is also a Neighbourhood Centre, pre-school centres, community halls, shops and parks.